POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 6 Dec 2006 15:46:06
Message: <45772c0e$1@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:
> One question open in my mind (because IANAL), is, if the image generated
> becomes the property of the user, is there any danger that someone could
> incorporate our works in a way that could prevent others from using it. For
> example, could they use the image of a contributed object as part of a
> trademark, or in an advert that associates the object with a well-known
> product and thereby constrains people from using anything resembling their
> trademark or any image that might be associated with their brand?'
>
>  Regards,
>  Chris B.

(IANAL but I could play one on TV)
Considering how much work some companies put into keeping trademarks
from being diluted, I doubt that a corporate lawyer would use an
established object from a publicly available library that was
copyrighted by someone else.

No one sane would attempt to use some brand name can of soda from
another company as a trademark. They may have a license to use it, but
they do not have the copyright to it.

Worst case would be that someone contributes something that they later
sell to a company to use as their trademark. However, if all the license
stuff is in order, people using the library have a perpetual and
non-exclusive license to use that object.